Friday, December 19, 2008

Boiled Cabbage

For Christmas dinner we always have ham and cabbage. I don't cook them together like some people do. I don't like the cabbage taste in my ham or the ham taste in my cabbage. I make a really quick and simple boiled cabbage that tastes really good.

Growing up my family always did turkey and homemade noodles at Chirstmas. My husband's family did ham and cabbage. Since we have turkey and noodles at Thanksgiving I decided to go with the ham and cabbage for Christmas. My mother-in-law did cook her ham and cabbage together, so I did make a change from what my husband had grown up with, but he enjoys the way I make it.

1 Head of cabbage
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Butter
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 beef bouillon cube

Cut or shred cabbage to desired size pieces. Place in large pan and cover halfway with water. Add bouillon cube, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir occaisonally over medium heat. I generally only cook this for about 5 minutes on medium heat, then lower heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes. This gives the seasonings time to infuse the cabbage with their flavors, but not get the too mushy. I like mine with just a bit of the crispness left to the cabbage. Cooking time will vary for everyone depending on how you like your cabbage (crisp or mushy).

1 comment:

CakeItaly said...

Great ideas!!!! Congratulations for the blog.

Bye from Italy
From the Staff of CakeItaly.com