Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Apple Cider Syrup


I managed to come up with a fall breakfast that didn't involve pumpkin. The kids were thrilled about that. This was actually a pretty lazy breakfast for me. I served them frozen waffles. Yes, totally lazy and not great... I know. I almost never buy frozen waffles because they're... well, let's face it, they're not that good. They were on sale last week and there was a coupon and since they were practically free after that I couldn't pass up the deal. Since we had them I figured we might as well use them.


I did make the syrup though. This was my first ever attempt at making syrup. I was a bit nervous, but it was a success. It even made those frozen waffles taste good. Fitting with the fall theme for the week, I made Apple Cider Syrup.

INGREDIENTS:
1-1/2 cup unsweetened apple cider
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
10 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
Combine all ingredients in a small, heavy saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until thickened. It will have reduced to about 3/4 cup. Discard cloves and cinnamon stick. Serve warm.

No comments: