Friday, October 31, 2008

Egg Salad

I decided I was taking the fall thing too seriously. The ingredients didn't necessarily have to be related to fall or Halloween, just the overall presentation. So with that in mind I went with a classic. The egg salad sandwich. While most people think of egg salad as a lunch food, in our house it is a breakfast favorite.

My twist for Halloween was simply to use the Halloween cookie cutters to cut the finished sandwiches into fun, halloween shapes. I had thought of doing that sooner but I figured my kids might be a bit old for it at 12 and 14. They enjoyed it though because it brought back memories of when they were younger and I would do this for them all the time.

This is a really basic egg salad recipe. Sometimes it's best not to mess with a classic though.

INGREDIENTS:
4 Hard-boiled Eggs, peeled and chopped
¼ cup Light Miracle Whip (you can use mayo if you prefer)
1 Celery Stalk, finely chopped
2 teaspoons Red Onion, finely chopped
1 ½ teaspoons Lemon Juice
To taste: Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper (about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of each)

DIRECTIONS:
Gently toss the eggs and celery together in a medium-size bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, onion, salt and pepper. Fold into the eggs and celery. Season to taste with salt & the ground black pepper. Chill for an hour or so before eating.

No comments: